Being a homeowner is never easy. Because apart from managing money and avoiding financial problems, you have to keep the property well maintained and carry out repairs. For instance, you need the best driveway sealer to keep your driveway in tiptop condition.
With the harsh elements that driveways face on a daily basis, even the highest quality sealers will start to wear out after some time. Things like oil, water, deicing salts, UV rays, thaw/freeze cycles, dust, mold, mildew, and many other elements damage the driveway. That’s why you need to maintain it immediately when you see cracks or if it starts to fade.But with so many best driveway sealers on the market, choosing a quality sealer can be a bit challenging especially, for those individuals who have never coated a driveway before. First of all, you need to know your driveway and select the ideal sealer for it. Is your driveway made of concrete sealer or Asphalt sealer? Do you want a high gloss finish, a wet look finish, or a natural finish?
Top 10 Best Driveway Sealer Comparison
|Images||Driveway Sealers||Size||Color||Price Idea|
|Check Price||SX5000 WB DOT Approved Water Based Silane Siloxane Penetrating Concrete Sealer, Brick Sealer, and Paver Sealer|
|Check Price||ToughCrete Concrete Sealer - 1 Gallon (Covers 600SqFt) - The #1 Sealant for Driveways, Garage Floors, Sidewalks, Patios, and Other Cocrete Surfaces|
|Check Price||Ultra Dry 70 Premium Penetrating Stone Sealer for Pool Deck Patio Driveway Water-Base Natural Look Matte Finish|
|Check Price||DryWay Water-Repellent Concrete Sealer | Protects Concrete Driveways | Pavers | Garage Floors | Patios | Outdoor Masonry|
|5 Gallon||Clear, Penetrating||Medium|
|Check Price||Armor AR500 Solvent Based High Gloss Acrylic Concrete Driveway Sealer|
Regardless of the type of driveway that you have, you can always find a sealer that will provide you with the protection that you need. In this driveway sealer review, we’ve come up with the 10 best driveway sealers after conducting vigorous research and testing different sealers. These driveway crack sealers are of high-quality and are sold at very competitive prices.
- 1 Top 10 Best Driveway Sealer Comparison
- 2 Types of driveway sealers
- 3 2022’s Best Driveway Sealer Reviews
- 3.1 Foundation Armor SX5000 Penetrating Concrete & Masonry Sealer
- 3.2 ToughCrete Concrete Sealer
- 3.3 Stella Sealants Ultra Dry Driveway Penetrating Sealer
- 3.4 DryWay Water-Repellent Concrete Driveway Sealer
- 3.5 Henry Best Driveway Sealer Black
- 3.6 Black Jack Driveway Filler and Sealer
- 3.7 Rust-Oleum 247471 Epoxy Blacktop Coating
- 3.8 Dalton Enterprises 73066 Latex-Ite Airport Grade Driveway Sealer
- 3.9 Armor AR500 Solvent-Based Acrylic Concrete Driveway Sealer
- 3.10 Henry Company PR690070 Top Kote Gilsonite Driveway Coating
- 4 Features to consider when choosing the best driveway sealer
- 5 Importance of sealing your driveway
- 6 Conclusion
Types of driveway sealers
A good number of homes in the USA have asphalt driveways. The asphalt driveway sealers are made up of asphalt. Nevertheless, these sealers are great for the environment and for your health, when compared to other types of sealers on the market. Asphalt sealer produce a very small level of volatile organic compounds and are as well safe and simple to apply on your driveway. However, just like any other sealer, the asphalt driveway sealer will have to be replaced after 3 years of use. This is as a result of exposure to the sun, rain, and many other elements.
Coal tar sealers
This is one of the most durable and long-lasting driveway sealers on the market. Coal tar sealants are usually made from coal tar, clay, sand, polymers, and other additives that give it pliability, ease of use, and resistance to the elements. Unlike other sealers, coal tar sealers are impervious to gasoline and other fluids from cars. In addition, they are also tolerant of fading and discoloration from extreme sunlight. Apart from possessing many wonderful features, they are also cheap.
Regardless of all these positive features of coal tar, they also have many setbacks. First of all, coal tar is not eco-friendly. Secondly, it has a high level of volatile organic compounds. Also, the sealer is a great danger to health and can potentially cause skin irritation.
Water-based sealers are eco-friendly and a great option for those with kids in the compound. They also provide great coverage and are easy to apply. The only challenge is that they are not very durable and will have to be applied after a few years of use.
Despite being sold at a very high price, acrylic sealers are one of the best. This is because they don’t have the setbacks of asphalt and coal tar sealers. These are entirely synthetic and have polymers and acrylic as the main ingredients. For this reason, many professional settings prefer using acrylic sealers. They are also long-lasting and can be found in a variety of colors. With excellent ingredients, these sealers will provide you with gasoline, UV, oil, and water protection.
Crack Filler Sealers
The sealer is sold in hot-applied and cold-applied versions. The cold-applied fillers can be enforced with a caulking gun. While the hot-applied filler needs the use of a torch for simultaneous heating of the filler as you apply between the cracks.
Oil-based sealers are better than water-based sealers. However, they produce more volatile organic compounds that are unsafe for your health. This is because they are made from petroleum or grease. All the same, oil-based sealers offer great resistance against elements.
2022’s Best Driveway Sealer Reviews
Foundation Armor SX5000 Penetrating Concrete & Masonry Sealer
Foundation armor is one of the top players when it comes to driveway sealers. If you are looking for the top-rated and best driveway sealer, then buy Foundation Armor SX5000 sealer. The Foundation Armor penetrating sealer is very popular and has received positive reviews over the years from its users. It features a clear solvent-based penetrating sealer packed inside a durable black plastic gallon. Since it is a silane-siloxane sealer, it has the ability to penetrate 2” down the driveway.
This sealer is great at preventing the growth of mildew and efflorescence. The active components in the sealer maintain the health and natural appearance of the driveway which lasts for 10 years before having to seal it again. In addition, the sealer ensures that the driveway is secured from any damage caused by surface abrasion, harsh sun, cracking, and water.
- It is very effective that it can be applied to both interior and exterior driveways
- SX5000 prevents the driveway from damage with its special formula
- It is able to resist efflorescence, mildew, mold, and algae
- A single seal coating will last for many years before requiring re-sealing again
- This product is highly priced
ToughCrete Concrete Sealer
This is an amazing concrete sealer that will offer you many years of use. When applied, it will last for at least 10 years before having to be sealed again. The siloxane concrete driveway sealer is ideal for securing your driveway, garage floor, sidewalk, patio, or any other concrete surface. The sealer will protect your concrete from things like water, deterioration, and salt.
Apart from these excellent features, this driveway sealer is also safe and eco-friendly. Actually, it is approved by the department of transportation and great for your concrete driveway. Thanks to its highest quality formula, it performs better than the cheap acrylic concrete sealers on the market. On top of that, the manufacturer provides users with a 10-year guarantee.
- This driveway sealer has no gloss thus it is not slippery even in wet conditions
- It is very easy to apply and dries fast
- The product is very eco-friendly and not harmful to our health
- It prevents degrading and spalling
- Toughcrete protects against water, deterioration, and salt damage
- It will offer great performance for 10 years without having to apply any other sealer
- It comes with an excellent lifetime warranty
- The sealer has no gloss so it doesn’t leave a shiny finish after applying it
Stella Sealants Ultra Dry Driveway Penetrating Sealer
If you have been looking for the best driveway sealer that dries quickly and offers years of use, then this is the best sealer for you. The Stella sealants ultra-dry sealer offers maximum stain protection. It is a water-based sealer and will leave your driveway looking natural. Also, it is not slippery during wet conditions and can be applied both indoors and outdoors. The sealer is ideal for use on natural stone, travertine, granite, tiles, marble, and limestone.
The 5-gallon sealant is enough to cover a wider area and it will dry almost instantly after application. That’s why it is suitable for high traffic areas like the kitchen, pool deck, bathroom, driveway, and patio. The only downside of using this sealer is that it contains volatile components that can cause skin irritation and shouldn’t be inhaled.
- It is very simple to apply and dries out quickly
- It offers maximum stain protection
- Stella sealant can be applied on both interior and exterior surfaces
- The driveway sealer comes with a 10-year warranty
- It can be dangerous when it comes in contact with the skin and not good for your health.
DryWay Water-Repellent Concrete Driveway Sealer
With a great capability to protect your driveway from spills, water, molds, and deterioration, this water-based sealer is the most ideal for your driveway. It is very easy to apply and it will last for many years to come. It does a great job resisting UV-rays, oxidative degradation, and heat. The 5-gallon sealer is enough to apply on your entire driveway and even on patios or the pavement.
Unlike other sealers, it doesn’t leave a film that can peel or wear off but it creates a lasting barrier into the concrete. Also, it has a service life of 5 years and provides an outstanding performance for driveways made of concrete and masonry surfaces.
- The sealer prevents the growth of molds or mildew
- It is resistant to heat, ultraviolet rays, and oxidative degradation
- It protects the driveway from spills and wears off
- The concrete driveway sealer lasts for more than 10 years after being applied
- It comes with a maximum service life of more than 5 years
- Some users have complained that the sealer leaves a cloudy mark on the driveway after applying it.
Henry Best Driveway Sealer Black
Henry is one of the top driveway sealer brands on the market. This sealer can be used both for filling and sealing your driveway. It contains an easy stir gel formula that provides excellent performance. It dries quickly as it only needs 4 hours for people to walk on and 24 hours for one to drive on. The 5-gallon container can be used to fill and seal 250 to 500 sq. ft. leaving your pavement or driveway with shiny black color.
The Henry driveway sealer is made of very strong and powerful ingredients that deliver a high performance. That’s why the manufacturer offers a 7-year warranty. This product is volatile and it shouldn’t be touched with your bare hands as it can cause skin irritation if it lands on your skin and other health issues.
- It dries easily and very fast
- It can be used for both filling and sealing of cracks and lines in the driveway or pavement
- The formula lasts longer
- The manufacturer offers a 7-year warranty
- It takes several days to properly dry and ready for use by vehicles
- It comprises harsh and powerful chemicals that may be dangerous to your health
Black Jack Driveway Filler and Sealer
The Blackjack driveway sealer is another amazing blacktop sealer for sealing and filling cracks and lines on your driveway. It comprises urethane and latex polymer which offer great performance. In addition, it has an advanced gel that gives your driveway a fine finish when sealing is completed. The sealer is easy to apply and comes in a quantity of 4.75-gallon. Unlike some sealers that take edges to dry, this sealer will dry out after 1 hour of application. It is one of the best driveway sealers for cracks.
Moreover, the sealer is sold at an amazing price and comes with a 10-year warranty. So, if you are looking for a top rubberized blacktop filler sealer, look no further than the Black Jack Ultra-Maxx sealer.
- Black Jack Driveway sealer is made up of great ingredients that enable it to dry quickly
- It is an excellent product that can be used to fill or seal your driveway
- Black Jack is very easy to seal with the sealing instructions on the container
- It is very durable and long-lasting driveway asphalt filler
- The manufacturer offers a 10 year warranty
- It has to be applied at the recommended temperature or gel-like lumps will be formed on the sealed surface.
Rust-Oleum 247471 Epoxy Blacktop Coating
The Rust-Oleum epoxy blacktop sealer comprises excellent chemicals that brighten up the driveway after application. The RustOleum driveway sealer also features a black colored liquid packed in a bucket style container weighing 2 gallons. Additionally, it has a sealer solution that is formulated with exclusively recycled rubber tires and easily stirs like paint. Unlike other sealers, this one is odorless.
You do not need professional help to use this sealer as it is very easy to apply and clean. Just a little quantity is enough to cover a huge area and it dries out very fast. Due to its strong chemical composition, this sealer should be handled with great care. In addition, it has a 10-year warranty.
- It makes the driveway to be bright and smooth
- Rust-Oleum is very easy to use and dries out very fast after few hours of application
- It is very easy to clean as it just needs water and soap
- This sealer is enough to cover a large area
- The sealer is odorless which makes it ideal for interior application
- The sealer is made up of harsh chemicals that may be a danger to our health and can cause skin irritation if it gets in contact accidentally.
Dalton Enterprises 73066 Latex-Ite Airport Grade Driveway Sealer
If you want your driveway to have the elegant black finish, Dalton enterprises airport grade Latex-ite driveway sealer will suit you. Made of polymer, this sealer will provide a stronger and more durable surface. It has an easy to stir and quick-drying formula that provides a rubberized, professional-grade finish in just a single coat. Apart from sealing, it can also be used to fill cracks and voids in the driveway. It is the best driveway sealer crack filler. To be specific, this is a crack repair filler that you can also use as a driveway sealer.
Since the formula is engineered using asphalt emulsion, it is skid-resistant and forms a tough surface that will last for many years to come. The sealer will give your driveway an amazing black finish that will leave it looking beautiful.
- It is very easy to apply and dries out quickly
- Latex-Ite gives the driveway a black finish which people love
- It is skid-resistant
- The manufacturer offers a 4-year warranty
- This sealer fades slowly after some time
- It is not very durable and needs you to apply a lot of coat
Armor AR500 Solvent-Based Acrylic Concrete Driveway Sealer
Last but not least on our list is the Armor AR500 acrylic concrete driveway sealers. This is one of my favorite & best driveway sealers. It contains penetrating high solids acrylic coating with matchless features. The high gloss finish beautifies your driveway and leaves it looking new. It is also durable and long-lasting as it can withstand hot tire pick up, cold & hot temperatures, and defies abrasion.
Besides the amazing features, this sealer can be used on a wide range of surfaces such as patios, pavers, driveways, concrete walkways, and stucco. Applying this concrete and masonry sealer will protect your driveway from peeling, flaking, spalling, cracking, pitting, and it will as well resist freeze/thaw cycles and salt damage. The good thing is that it will last between 2 and 5 years if properly applied.
- It beautifies the driveway by giving it a high gloss finish
- Armor AR500 Driveway sealer is very durable and long-lasting
- AR500 works great at resisting freeze/thaw cycles and salt damage
- It resists UV, peeling, and flaking
- It reduces cracking, pitting, and spalling
- The concrete driveway sealer is very easy to apply and low maintenance
Henry Company PR690070 Top Kote Gilsonite Driveway Coating
This product from Henry is only suitable for seal coating blacktop driveways that are at least one year old. You should not use it on surfaces where you previously sealed with latex, coal tar, or acrylic driveway sealer. It will not give you optimum performance. However, the sealer does a great job of preserving and securing weathered asphalt driveways. The 5-gallon container can cover a huge area as 1 gallon is able to be used on 60 to 80 square feet. depending on the size of the cracks.
Applying this sealer will protect your driveway from UV damage, thanks to its rich, semi-gloss finish. Furthermore, the manufacturer offers a 4-year warranty.
- It easily penetrates and prevents your driveway
- The semi-gloss finish protects the driveway from UV damage
- It is easy to apply
- The product comes with a 4-year warranty
- The product cannot be sealed on surfaces where latex, coal tar, or acrylic driveway sealer has been sealed before.
Features to consider when choosing the best driveway sealer
The most important factor when sealing the driveway is safety. After applying the sealer, you want the driveway surface to be slip-resistant. The good news is that most sealers sold on the market today meet the federal standards for slip-resistant when the surface is dry. However, this doesn’t answer for when the sealed surface is wet.
If you want to determine the level of slipperiness, you will have to take the amount of texture and thickness of the sealer. Normally, the more sealer resin that’s on the surface and the shiner the surface is, then the higher the probability for a slippery surface.
To land a safe sealer, always try it out on a small area in both dry and wet conditions to determine its slipperiness. One of the best sealers to use is a penetrating water based sealer. This sealer has no gloss and will not lead to slipperiness.
Not all driveway sealers are created the same. Also, some perform better than others. But since no driveway sealer will last forever, it is a good idea to look for a high-performing and long-lasting sealer. Depending on the type of sealer applied and the exposure conditions, a sealer may last for 3 to 5 years. So, instead of buying a low-quality sealer with poor properties, you should go for a high-quality sealer that offers you greater performance. A poor sealer may not even last for 2 years.
How do you want your driveway to look like? Driveway sealers come in different colors and gloss levels. Some of the glosses to select from are high-gloss, no-gloss, gloss, matte, semi-gloss, and satin. The gloss level is usually displayed on the product. Manufacturers use a standardized test to measure gloss on a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being the highest level and 1 the lowest.
When it comes to color, solvent-based film-forming sealers tend to darken than water-based sealers. Additionally, driveway sealers with higher solid content will lead to more darkening, providing the driveway the wet look appearance that people love. So, the higher the solid contents of a sealer, the higher the gloss level. On the other hand, penetrating sealers do nothing to change the color of the asphalt surface.
Composition of the sealer
Different driveway sealers from different brands have different compositions. Some are made with volatile components while others are water-based. The kind and quality of resin a sealer contains plays a huge role in how long the sealer will last and how well it will work during its life cycle. If the sealer comprises volatile ingredients, this may be harmful to your health and its smell won’t be good too.
Importance of sealing your driveway
- It will reduce cracking
- It will beautify your driveway
- The life of the driveway will be extended
- The driveway will be strengthened as it will resist chemical oil spills
A bad driveway can cause all sorts of problems. But using a quality best driveway sealer will protect the driveway, give it a good look, make it safe, and provide it with additional texture. The sealer will help to prevent your driveway from the effects of harsh weather like the sun and the rain. With so many driveway sealers on offer, you have a wide range of options to choose from.
The driveway sealers that we’ve discussed above are some of the best and are very easy to use. They are offered by some of the best brands and contain excellent compositions that will keep your driveway in tip-top condition for at least 3 years. Choose the right sealer for your driveway and you will have less to worry about.
- Question: How often should I seal my driveway?
Answer: Many manufacturers advise sealing your driveway every year. But if you use some commercial grade and high-quality sealers, it should be able to last for at least 3 to 4 years if well maintained.
- Question: How long do I need to stay off my driveway after sealing?
Answer: First of all, it depends on the season. If it’s in the summer when the sun is full, the driveway should be okay in 2 to 4 hours. But it will take 24 hours for you to drive your car on it. But in the colder months, it will need at least 48 hours to dry and you can drive your car on it after 30 days. If you do not allow your pavement to dry as recommended, it will spoil quickly and you will have to seal it after a short while.
- Question: What duration does it take to seal a driveway?
Answer: It depends on the cleaning and repairs that have to be done on your pavement. If the area is small, this should take an hour or less. But if there is a lot of cleaning needed to be carried out, it may take you 3 hours or so.
- Question: Are all brands of driveway seal coating the same?
Answer: This is not correct as driveway sealers vary from one brand and type to another. Also, you cannot compare commercial grade asphalt driveway sealers with normal sealers. Commercial or professionals sealers are costlier but more reliable and long-lasting. So, you should consider buying these for a longer lasting driveway.
- Question: How should I apply the pavement sealer?
Answer: There are three major ways of applying the pavement sealer. These are by use of a spray, hand or a Squeegee. If the area you are sealing is small, then using the hand will be much easier. You will need a small brush to do this. But if the place is somehow larger, you should use a spray to cover the bad areas.
Still, have a question after reading this Best Driveway Sealer Reviews? Comment below.
I live in the northeast; what is the best concrete sealer to protect against salt damage?